Frequently Asked Questions

How do I send a secure document?

We use a program called SafeSend. You can upload any document to this secure portal and it will send your documents to SJ, our Office Manager. She will confirm receipt once received. It is best practice to follow up with an email to inform us that you have uploaded documents to us. This link is found in any Shaw & Associates employee email signature. Click the link ‘Click Here to Send Secure Documents’.


How do I pay my invoice?

Click the ‘Pay Your Invoice’ button on our website. It will ask for your invoice number and amount. You’ll then be taken to a secure site where you can enter your payment information. You can also write a check and mail it, drop it off at our office, or call us with your credit card information.


What if emails from Shaw & Associates go to my spam folder?

This is a common problem.  We need YOU to whitelist us so emails from us do not go to your spam or junk folders.  Please check all your email spam or junk folders often if you know you should be receiving emails from us.


Do I need to make an appointment to drop off my documents?

No. You can stop in at any time during our office hours to drop off your documents. Office hours are 8-5 pm Monday – Friday during tax season and 8-5 pm Monday – Thursday and 8-12 pm Friday outside of tax season.


How long should I keep my tax documents?

We recommend keeping supporting documents for 7 years after the tax year. For instance, 2019 tax documents can be discarded in 2027.


When can I schedule a tax planning meeting?

You can schedule a tax planning meeting at any time during the year, however, we recommend scheduling your meeting before the end of the year.  Contact our office to schedule your meeting.


Do you take initial consultations and when can I schedule one?

Yes. We offer free initial consultations during from May 1st – December 31st. Contact our office to schedule your consultation.


Having trouble opening up your draft or final pdf to review?

Make sure you have Adobe Acrobat Reader version 9.0 or greater. If it is not installed on your computer, download it for free.


Do I need to bring in or provide hard copies of my supporting tax documents?

If you digitally uploaded your documents to our secure portal, we do not need for you to also send us hard copies.


What is my password?

The password will always be listed in your email. Common passwords we will use will be either the social security number of the taxpayer to whose email it was sent to, without dashes, the full EIN without dashes (business only) or the last four digits of your SSN (if an email is sent from SafeSend). Always double check your email which will identify the particular type of password you will need.


What type of QuickBooks file should I send?

We require an accountant’s copy if you use the QuickBooks desktop version. You can reference our instructions on how to send a copy on our website. If you use QuickBooks online, please let us know when your file is fully reconciled and ready for tax preparation.


How do I check the status of my refund?

IRS:      Colorado:


I received a notice in the mail from the IRS or Colorado Department of Revenue. What do I need to do?

First and foremost, send us a copy of your notice as soon as you receive it as they are time sensitive. We will review it and contact you to discuss the next step.


When will I know the tax preparer has started my return? Preparers start working on tax returns in the order in which each client’s documents are received. The sooner you get your documents to us the sooner your tax return will be prepared. We typically have a 4 week turn around unless you’ve been told otherwise. The preparer will reach out with questions at the start of working on your return. Turnaround times change during extension season.


What is your process to getting my tax return done?

We have created a 10 step flowchart that identifies the typical process for completing your income tax return. You can see our flow chart on our website under resources.


I need to amend my return, what do I do?

Please provide to us any documents that support the reason for amending your tax return. You have 3 years from the current filing deadline of the original tax return to amend. We will generally process your amended return after tax season is over. Once the return is ready, we will send instructions on what to do. Most amended returns will need to be paper filed.